Sunday, August 22, 2010

Talkin bout 'My Generation'

Yes I am sure that everyone is going to be using the title that I chose when this show comes out.

Last Tuesday I got to preview the pilot episode of ABC's new show "My Generation", which is being filmed here in Austin. I remember hearing that they were going to film it here months ago when it was still being called Generation Y, and I even saw their trucks for filming near the Seaholm Power Plant not too long ago.

The basis of the show is that in 2000 a 'documentary crew' filmed the lives of several high schoolers during their senior year. All stereotypical high school cliques were represented (the jock, the rich kid, the beauty queen, the wallflower, etc) and as you entered the screening you were handed a random t-shirt with one of the characters.


I'm a

Clips of the 'original documentary' are shown throughout, but the show itself takes place in 2010 when the film crew returns to see how the lives of the students have changed.

I went into the screening with no expectations and walked out fully intending to try and remember to actually watch television when the show starts on September 23. It is funny without being too over the top and interspersed with heart-wrenching scenarios relatable to people who came of age at the same time as the characters.

It was also fun to see a show that takes place in Austin and to have another show being filmed here, since Friday Night Lights is almost finished. I immediately recognized Jaime King (who plays the pretty girl Jackie Fox) since I was an extra in a film with her when I was in 8th grade. I guess she likes working in the Central Texas area!
I recognized a lot of places downtown from the show, which was cool, but thought it was funny how often characters would accidentally bump into each other around the city, as if Austin wasn't a large metropolitan area.

I normally just watch tv shows through Netflix instant streaming, but I think I will definitely try to watch this show weekly when it is shown the first time around. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment