Sunday, October 31, 2010

Going sane

Yesterday over 5,000 people gathered at the Texas Capitol in solidarity with the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert Rally to Restory Sanity and/or Fear.
And I was one of them.
Apart from being able to watch Dexter, the only other reasons I miss not having cable or satellite is not being able to watch The Daily Show and Colbert Report every night. Sure I could stream them online, but I much prefer watching things on tv rather than my laptop with not so great speakers.

I spent a bit of time brainstorming what to write as my poster for the rally. I was intending to do something random and silly like "I Like Turtles."
Eventually I settled on "Simmer down now," which was a popular quote from a recurring SNL sketch with Cheri Oteri.

I got a lot of pictures taken of me and a lot of compliments for the sign. I'm not sure how many people related it to SNL or whether they just liked the sentiment. Husband and I were also interviewed soon after we arrived, but I don't know by who or whether we'll make the final cut of the video, since they said we were their first interviewees, and our answers were kind of lame.


Lots of other people got really creative with their signs. I was cracking up reading them all.
Signs are an impractical medium for discourse

I am a tad concerned

I hate crowds
Some of my other favorites that I didn't get pictures of:
"I drove all the way from Austin to be here"
"Don't craze me bro"
"Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble"

it's like I was really there
Apart from streaming most of the D.C. rally on a jumbotron and having some Texas politicians (the mayor, a congressman,  etc) speak, they also had cut-outs you could get your picture taken in.

and they had people writing prescriptions for sanity. I picked up a couple.


It was a really fun time, but I wish that they showed the D.C. rally in full. I understand wanting to feature Austin things, but they cut out some appearances like Tim Meadows. Eventually husband and I got some pizza and sat in the shade streaming the main rally on his ipad.
All in all had a great time, and apparently it was the biggest rally at the capitol since 1984, which I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

And I feel like it is my duty to end this by urging you all to vote on Tuesday, no matter your affiliation. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment