Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Bountiful Bakery

Almost a year ago I had gotten a copy of Eat & Drink Austin which had an article on Bountiful Bakery which made me want to visit, but somehow, for one reason or another, I never made it there until today.
Husband and I always have Tuesday afternoons together, so we try to do something fun together when we can. We were looking over the assorted food trailers on the back of the program from the Gypsy Picnic, when I remembered about Bountiful and made husband read about it (the Eat & Drink website isn't working for me, but you can read an article on them from The Austin Chronicle here.)
After reading about how the owners lost their daughter to leukemia and how they donate a portion of each sale to helping children with cancer at our local hospitals, how could he say no to use eating there today?
Furthermore the cause is one close to my heart now as I work for a large non-profit where I speak with cancer patients everyday, and everyday I see how families are affected by a cancer diagnosis.
It was hard to choose from the fairly large menu, but I ended up with a cup of macaroni & cheese and a cup of tomato basil soup.
 Their mac & cheese was creamy and delicious, and they apparently bring it to the kids at Dell Children's Hospital and Specially for Children's Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Clinic. 
The tomato basil soup was good, but it seems like everywhere here makes the soup with cream, whereas in the UK where I first got hooked on the stuff, it was a clearer soup that was great for dipping buttery bread into. I think I prefer what I would get in the UK, although it was still good here.
Husband got the Cuban sandwich which he said was very tasty. 
  
We shared a peanut butter bar, which was generous in size.
We also got a chocolate chip cookie and 'magic bar' to take home to eat tomorrow.
The way the place was set up was really cute. We said that if we ever have a daughter, we're totally taking her there for her birthday. It is the perfect place for a little girl to get all dressed to have a dainty, princess-y meal out. My photo doesn't do it justice.
They have two locations, one in Bee Caves and one in Westlake (we ate at the Westlake one). 
Keep an eye on their website to see special fundraising events as well. For example, tomorrow (Nov 10) at their Bee Caves store they will be raising money to help a Bee Caves' police officer's 8 year old stepson fight leukemia with a pasta dinner, raffle, music and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment