Tuesday, May 24, 2011

And that's why you always leave a note!

Monday I had to work during the day, but in the evening we went to The Highball, along with one of my brothers, for their TV Dinner night. This week they were showing 4 episodes from season 1 of Arrested Development (season 2 is next week and season 3 the week after). 
I hadn't been to a Highball event before, so we got there early to get a table just in case it got crowded.
I had the garden salad while Husband had the Thanksgiving sandwich with onion rings.
Our friend had the Dr. Pepper ribs and an order of fries, which ended up being a lot of food.
The food is good, but nothing that makes me say 'ooh, we have to go eat at the Highball!', and it is a bit pricier than other places I like around here. It is a nice place to go to every once in a while, though, for the atmosphere, or for the free karaoke during happy hour.

Before the show, the hosts handed out paper and challenged each table to make a Bluth family crest.
After the third episode each group presented their crest and audience applause determined the winner.
We didn't win, but I love our finished design
We have Buster's hook, some bananas, a segway, a glass of wine (since Lucille is always drinking), a loose seal, the yellow part is supposed to look like the stairs from the company truck, and some never nude shorts on the bottom. Then we tried to translate "I need a favor" as best we could into Latin at the bottom.

Our friend, who is visiting from the UK, did win a free drink from the one trivia question they answered. Whoo!

This morning (Tuesday) we rented a kayak from Zilker Park. I'm always amazed at the number of turtles I see each time.
We saw quite a number of little baby ones, and even a tiny one riding a bigger one while we were out in the water.
I am completely lacking in upper body strength, so we didn't stay out too long.

I picked up the new Friendly Fires album from Waterloo Records, and it is soooo good! I already knew several of the songs from seeing the band a couple times during SXSW. The standout tracks, for me, are Show Me Love, True Love, and Blue Cassette.

Later this afternoon we went to see Bridesmaids at the Alamo Drafthouse Village, and I didn't realize it was Baby Day until we arrived, but it was the only time that worked for us, so we stayed. The babies in our theater actually did pretty well, only crying a couple of times and nothing too distracting. I do like that the Drafthouse does give parents a way to see movies without having to splurge for a sitter, but also keeping other showings quiet and free of children. It is a good compromise, and they let you know if you show up for the film and did not realize it was a Baby Day showing, they are happy to change your ticket. I cannot speak highly enough of the Drafthouse, and it is the only theater I will give my money to.
The movie was just as funny the second time around. I mentioned Kristen Wiig's wardrobe on here the first time I saw it during an advanced screening, and now that the film is officially released, I have seen loads of other people writing about it. It seems a lot of people are in love with her outfits, and rightfully so!

We ate dinner at home this evening, but afterwards we went to Gourdoughs, where I always try to take people who are visiting Austin. After learning from my first one, I don't attempt to eat one on my own because they are just so huge. Husband and I let our friend choose which one to have (and since we can go whenever we want since we live here). He chose the Black Out (which I last ate here) which consists of brownie batter, fudge icing, and chocolate covered brownie bites on the doughnut. 
It's a good thing we're working out tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you got to do the Arrested Development at the Highball thing! I forgot about it completely — and AD is my one true love. I am so ashamed of myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come next Monday for season two!

    ReplyDelete